Monday, May 6, 2013

Tiramisu Cake


In the last few months, I have learnt to appreciate everything in my life a lot more. It's not that I didn't earlier; it is just that I am more aware of it, and also recognize the little bits more often.
                       From life, health, friends to family, work and even the basics around me, I am glad to have each of these in my life- in all forms. Most often, we never appreciate the things around us- and so I thought of baking something special for each of the immediate family members, to express my gratitude to them and thank them for being there, always. I got the idea a bit late in March with my brother’s birthday (find the cake here) , and I ended up missing 2 very important birthdays earlier this year in January and February of 2 of the best kids that I have known. To compensate, I will be baking some of their favourites when I see them later this year.
                 Coming back to the present, after the teeny disaster of my mom’s birthday cheesecake (more information here), I decided to play it extra safe, and invest some more effort later in the same week for my parents’ anniversary cake.  Although my brother rightly pointed out our feelings of gratitude towards them- something to the effect of how we have always got things served in a silver platter, and we can only begin with a stainless steel one, for me, I don’t think I will able to put it down in any number of words. Apart from the many things that I’m glad for, I think the one thing that I appreciate each day, and more as I grow older, is the flexibility and the freedom that our parents encouraged us with to go out there, discover who we are and expose ourselves to the Big, bad world. So what if we made/make the mistakes, they were always there to support us. If it wasn't for their undoubted faith in me, I wouldn't have had the experiences that I did, and I don’t think I would be the person I am. Even when we have lacked the confidence, our parents have shown more than a 100% confidence in the both of us. And this is true till date. So, thank you. This one is especially for you.
                 Back to the anniversary, Since both of them love the little alcohol in their desserts and chocolates, I decided to bake a tiramisu flavoured cake for them. I baked the cakes using my 2 new layered cake pans the night before (yes, I am showing off- I can’t believe my baking collection is building up so fast), and decided to do the frosting the next day morning. The cake has a hint of the tiramisu flavour- for kids; one can skip the coffee and the liqueur. For adults, who appreciate the alcohol a bit more, double the quantity of the liqueur. A simple frosting cake- perfect for occasions. Do try.


For the sponge cake, see the recipe here or here (skip the chocolate chips).
For the Frosting,

200 gm mascarpone
3 egg yolks +3 egg whites.
¾ cup Whipping Cream
6 tablespoons Icing sugar
1/2 cup brewed coffee + 1tbsp Kahlua (alternatively, use sweet rum)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Cocoa Powder, to garnish


Beat the egg yolks with 1/2 of the sugar until the mixture is thick. Add the mascarpone, mix for about 2-3 minutes and let it rest for 5 minutes. Beat the egg whites, adding the remaining sugar a bit at a time. Fold in the egg whites into mixture and then the whipped cream. Mix rum with coffee.
To assemble, soak both the sponges with the coffee mixture. 
Top with a layer of the Mascarpone mixture and the line with the other soaked sponge. Top with another layer of the Mascarpone mixture and let it set in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Remove from fridge and line with another layer of mascarpone. Refrigerate for half an hour. Using a sifter, sprinkle a thin layer of
cocoa powder. Refrigerate until you dig in.

2 comments: