Friday, June 14, 2013

Spinach and Babycorn Bake

This recipe has been lying in my folder for months.
And with all the celebratory posts taking up all of May- I have finally found time to post this one up.
In the last few weeks, I have been surrounded by ironically, many conversations of food habits. Through my growing up years, in our household, we were not allowed to ‘not Like’ any vegetables. You just had to eat what was made. What a brilliant idea- any parent would wonder. I guess my parents did too. So, till date, both me and brother are happy eating baingan ka bharta, lauki, karela, and these have become dishes, we both miss now that we are away from home. In fact, when we do go back for meals- These are things that we ask our mom for. Lucky her- I am sure her joys hold no bound, when her son asks for baingan ka bharta on his first day back home.
As an adult in my 30’s I couldn’t agree less.  But what it has done is that this has spoilt me a little. I now think that since all my childhood, I have been a good kid, eating everything possible, today,  I have the liberty to use my tastes and likings to not have things that I don’t like, or at least when made a certain way. One such dish is Beans aloo (Traditional Indian Beans and Potatoes). I love beans, but when they are nice and crisp, grilled or otherwise, as an accompaniment to a flavoured grilled chicken or even in garlicky pasta. Over the years, Beans aloo is one dish I just do not enjoy. It’s also funny, how both ak and his mom love it and hence it will always be a part of my culinary life. Ironically, I have become a bit of a fussy eater, only with age. Guess that’s what age does and I only hope it doesn’t get worse.
This post is not about Beans- it is actually about spinach. What beans is to me, is what spinach is to many others I know- especially a lot of kids. Another one of those vegetables that many people don’t like or begin to not like with age. I however, love this baked dish with spinach and corn or mushrooms, and the combination of crunchy corn with soggy, garlicky spinach is perfect. The reason I am posting a bake, is because in the current heat of Delhi, when one wants to spend little time in the kitchen, this dish can be prepared well in advance when entertaining or even for a simple dinner, served with bread and a salad. Its nutritious benefits- I guess I don’t even need to talk about. Do try- The flavours are immense.
p.s. an alternate version with Broccoli can be found here.
Serves 3-4 (when accompanied with Bread and salad)
1 Big Bunch of Spinach, chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
Salt/Pepper to Taste
2 tablespoons Cornflour (or flour)
2 cups Milk
2 Teaspoons Butter/Oil
250 gm baby corn, steamed and chopped (can be replaced with mushrooms)
Grated cheese for garnishing
Oregano for garnishing

Saute’ the garlic in ½ teaspoon oil, and add the spinach. Add salt and pepper, and once the spinach is cooked, remove from heat and let it cool. Once cooled, blend it finely in a mixer.
Heat the butter, and quickly sauté the cornflour on low heat, to get a smooth, lumpless paste. Remove from heat and let it cool. Once cooled, put the pan back on low heat, and slowly add milk, stirring continuously. 
Add salt and pepper. Keep stirring, and keep adding the milk, until the mixture begins to thicken. Once this sauce reaches a thick consistency (not drippy), stop cooking. Add the spinach and corn and mix well.
Bake in a preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes at 180 degrees C.

No comments:

Post a Comment