Friday, August 26, 2011

Honey & Almond Cake

A Hard Day’s night; that’s what I am going to call this one.
So, while we watch ‘wake up sid’ for the umpteenth time, here I am, despite being completely exhausted, loving this. Today was a çommuni-cooking day (not in a perfectly cooking manner though). After a bad day with a completely clogged throat, half a day of work and trying to get some god-forsaken ID, I was back home at a ‘so-called’ reasonable time in order to rest. Ak fancied Murgh Malai Tikka for dinner, and so that was tested out; but will be shared another day. The marinade worked but the oven ditched me L, by drying out my richly marinated malai tikkas. I discovered that mom’s tried and tested technique of  making tikkas in the pan on medium heat actually works much better... round 2, therefore, got a better response.  Will crack the oven soon, and re-post this one.

          Feeling extremely disappointed, I wanted more; and therefore, I set out to test my new flowery cake tin. The benefits of marriage are quite brilliant; giving you the permissible luxury to splurge on baking tools :P  (justifying shopping to bring in what’s missing). Its not like I didn’t do it earlier, but, now, I can make it an évent’. After, spending enough time to look for the right recipe with key factor being only ‘2 eggs’ (from what was lying in the fridge), ‘we’ decided to embark on the Honey and Almond Cake- Courtesy Ipad (a baking app!). ilove technology.


Ak, being himself, couldn’t resist the photography and set out with a drink, to assist me in my venture. So, thank you again... Nigella managed to interrupt our endeavour momentarily, but did not deter!
Ingredients:
150 g/5½ oz unsalted butter,  plus extra for greasing
115 g/4 oz light muscovado sugar
175 g/6 oz clear honey
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 eggs, beaten
200 g/7 oz self-rising flour
15 g/½ oz flaked almonds
warmed honey, to glaze

My addition to the recipe: Maple/ Pancake Syrup- while you are mixing the honey. Somehow, when I read the recipe, I instantly wondered why the maple syrup was missing. Me definitely think it adds to the combination of flavours such as these. But the original recipe does without it. Also, I always add vanilla essence- am quite fearful of the egg smell.

Heat the sugar, butter, honey /pancake syrup and lemon juice on medium heat in a pan, to ensure that the ingredients dissolve without boiling. Remove from heat, and the 2 beaten eggs quickly, mixing with a wooden spoon. Add the flour and vanilla essence, mixing now with a metallic spoon. Pour into a greased tin(with butter and flour)- in this case my delicate looking flower tin…and sprinkle with flaked almonds on top. Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 degrees C for about 30 minutes or until you get a clean fork out. Big Tip- Flake and slice the almonds before you begin the process. I only remembered much later that the almonds in the kitchen weren't sliced!!!

The cake looks edible- I of course, like always, could not be the first one to taste it. Ak did the honors; It turned out to be light and flavour-ful; not chocolaty, and definitely not too sweet and that is what I really liked about it. On a rainy day, if in a mood for some tea and cake, I assume, this would be a good accompaniment. The best part being-baking it indeed was extremely effortless.


2 comments: