Monday, January 2, 2012

Pancakes with Bacon and Maple Syrup

01.01.2012.
Happy New Year.
A wonderful year gone by.
Looking forward to the one that has just come in. 
And hopefully, to a lot more communicating and cooking.





The glitch for today- we woke up to an extremely grey, almost wet, Sunday morning. Extremely British and I was instantly reminded of London. Oh- how I love that city, and how much I miss it. Not to say, I don’t love Delhi, but despite its greyness, for many reasons, London will always have a special place in my heart. The last night had been late, and by the time we were up, it was almost time for Lunch. Post the party, both Ak and me were in the mood for a quick, simple Brunch, and hence, what could be better, than Pancakes! (thanks to my ‘Brit’ nature as Ak calls it).
I know that Ak is not a Pancake person- He thinks they are flavourless, by themselves. I think it is more to do with the fact that, he doesn’t like the combination of sweet and savoury. Me, on the other hand, cannot get enough of them. Give me pancakes, give me waffles and some maple syrup- and life doesn’t get better for me. What irony! To top it all, pancakes are extremely versatile; breakfast or dinner, with eggs or ham or beans/vegetables or as a dessert. Essentially, they can always be combined with a number of accompaniments for a great meal.
Traditionally served for breakfast, pancakes have various versions- American, English, French (crepes), Greek and even an Indian one (cheela or malpua).  The American version is thicker (thanks to baking powder or another similar rising agent, with thick batter), whereas the English version is thinner, with a runny batter. If anyone is in London, they must try the best Crepes available, at the Hampstead Heath Market (and do try both the savoury and sweet ones!), and then take a walk along the heath, to burn the calories off. Absolute bliss.
            Since pancakes by themselves, would do not delight Ak enough, I decided to add a bribe; it was the first meal of the year, and It had to be delightful for everyone. I remembered one of Nigella’s posts here .Although she skips the bacon with the kids, we could definitely afford the ‘luxury of bacon’ on the first day of the year! Yes, we are that healthy, that bacon is deemed to be a luxury. IF it were up to me though, I would happily increase the consumption of bacon a bit more @261- and who knows, surreptitiously, I even may- heeeeehahaa (that’s the devil in me). Coming back to the meal, I used my tried and tested recipe for pancakes- they are more of the American type and I like them for their fluffiness. The batter is quick to make, and if wrapped in cling film, lasts for up to a week. In fact, it is so simple, that even the rookie cannot go wrong!
p.s. Must try these with some chocolate chips and syrup.
For the Pancakes;
1 1/2 cups flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
1 egg
3 tablespoons butter, melted

Bacon
Maple Syrup

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter; mix until smooth. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.
Simultaneously, in a non-stick pan, throw in a few rashes of bacon, and heat on medium heat until crisp. Serve with Pancakes and Maple Syrup.
(Optional: I used the fat of the bacon to fry the last 2 pancakes- to add more flavor.
This batter makes about 12-15 pancakes, 6” dia)

No comments:

Post a Comment