Saturday, April 7, 2012

Egg Salad Open Sandwiches




Today is Good Friday.
Yes, I am well aware of the goodness of all Fridays, but today really is ‘The Good Friday’, just before Easter Sunday. Last year, On Easter Sunday, we were at the Vatican; that is really one of the rare moments in my life. Ahh- I miss the travels already. With so much activity buzzing around Easter, all the Easter egg preparations, the egg hunt and other activities globally, I have been feeling morally inclined to contribute my bit to the festivities. Having studied in a Christian school throughout, I feel quite connected and aware of the rituals, and rather enjoy them actually. On the contrary, I quite miss the real Christmas buzz- beyond the party season that runs through Delhi. I looked around a bit for some egg colouring, in order to try some devilled easter eggs, but my hunt started late.
                Having had limited options at hand, I decided to wake up early (rather just in good time!) on Friday morning and make some interesting eggy breakfast instead, in order to celebrate Easter. I am not much of an egg person, and from what I have understood, neither is Ak. Although it is quite ironic, that the first thing that I ever cooked @261 for Ak, was of course, an egg for Breakfast. For me, an egg is good for any other meal, except breakfast; Baked eggs, Scrambled (Indian, The traditional English style, Mexican…), etc. I am happy to have eggs for dinner. In the last year or so, with various minor health concerns, in order to be healthy and improve my food habits, I am going to allow Mr Egg to come into my life, more often. Coming back to the post, to celebrate Easter Style, I made Egg Salad Open Sandwiches. I had read this post by David Lebovitz a couple of months ago, and there was something so classic about this simple post- that it had been playing in my mind. I was travelling then, and didn’t get an opportunity, and it was only now, that I finally had eggs to play with, I decided to give this a shot. What I love about David’s cooking is the simplicity and perfect blend of flavours. Am an ardent fan, and the perfect-ness of this recipe, has only made it better from here on.


For the egg salad, (recipe adapted from here)
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
4 Tablespoons Milk
½ teaspoon sea salt or normal salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
½ teaspoon wholegrain mustard
1 stalk Green onion, finely chopped
Dried Chives (I didn’t have any fresh ones)

Chop the Eggs finely. Add the mayonnaise and milk and mix to get a spread like consistency. Add the remaining ingredients and just mix. Spread on some toasted, multigrain bread for an open sandwich or serve between 2 slices for a closed one.
p.s. me thinks some paprika in this would have been perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment