Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Baked Broccoli and Babycorn


Its unfathomable, how my mind flutters so much. Sometimes I truly believe in my ‘dual zodiac nature’ that describes me as a person getting bored quickly, of anything and everything. I think I have more often posted about how I don’t know where this blog is headed, than posted about real blog stuff. Yes, one can easily predict that the reason I haven’t posted in the last few weeks (despite having a ready documented dish in drafts), is because I have been thinking and re-thinking the blog. Honestly, despite my resolutions to write more, I struggle to stay convinced. Yes, I have been caught up with work, family and so much stuff happening, but I know that’s hardly reason enough to not do this. Today, as I write this, I am almost feeling guilty for not wanting to do this at all. Am not 100% there yet, but I think I am going to try.
This post is about some of the cooking that took place at our abode, in the last month; some of it extremely simple at the end of a hard day, some of it quite “ironchefy” (I quote the 13 year old RB) such as the fancy lemonade (recipe coming soon, courtesy RB), some to remind us of the good things we enjoyed as kids (and don’t indulge in anymore as adults) - such as Jello, which I re-discovered is an art in itself, especially, to remove from the cases, and some to purely enjoy good food. The Baked broccoli and corn dish is one of my all-time favourite- its simplicity is what makes it a pleasure, to cook and eat as well.

2 Medium Sized Broccoli Florets, cut into smaller pieces, parboiled
150-200 gm baby corn, cut into small diagonal/round pieces, parboiled
4 cloves of Garlic, Finely chopped
1 Table spoon Olive Oil
Salt/Pepper
Mixed Herbs/ Oregano
Parmesan or any other cheese for garnishing

For the sauce,
3 Tablespoons Cornflour
3 Cups of Milk
1.5 Tablespoons Butter
To prepare the sauce, melt the butter in a pan and mix it with the cornflour, roasting it lightly (not letting it turn brown). Remove the pan from heat and let it cool. Add the milk slowly, and cook on medium heat, continuously stirring as the sauce will start thickening. Keep cooking, whilst adding the milk and slowly stirring to obtain the desired consistency of a thick white sauce. Add salt and Pepper/oregano to the sauce.
            Add the olive oil and garlic to a baking dish, and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees C for about 5 minutes. Add the sauce and the parboiled vegetables and mix in the dish itself to get a uniform cover. Sprinkle with cheese and herbs. Bake for about 15 minutes until the top turns golden. Serve with toasted bread.
 

2 comments:

  1. The lemonade looks Fantabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was- especially at the end of a looong day!

    ReplyDelete