Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Speedy Shrimp - Guest Post by Shikha Bajaj

The blog has been silent for a while. No matter what I try, I am finding it hard to document all the cooking that has been happening. A great Mutton dish, the perfect greek salad recipe, a new way to eat healthy vegetable lasagna and many more recipes, are lying all in the various tummies and in my head. Mystically, To break the silence, and get the action rolling on the blog, my wonderful SIL, decided to send me this shrimp recipe with butter and lime, all the way across the seven seas. And what a wonderful way to start the day with this in your inbox :). Ironically, I never liked shrimp, until I had it on my visit to her place last year. I am a convert for sure, and after testing this recipe- I am sure you will be one too.
p.s Thanks for sharing this Didi. and a special thanks to the Sous Chef- I could see the little hands working hard! 


Nobody doesn't like shrimp.

This recipe to cook Shrimp (with butter and lime) is one of the quickest dishes one can make. It quite literally takes 15 minutes from start to finish.
Prepare your serving dish first. I like to use a bed of mixed greens. I happened to have some Radicchio, Frisee, Chard and Arugula (also known as rocket) mix in the fridge, so that is what I used. I am trying to eat better and recently went overboard in the produce section at whole foods.

Although the shrimp is the star of this show, my personal favorite part is at the end when I get to polish off the salad mixed in with the flavoured sauce.

Thanks Tanya for letting me do a guest post. I love your blog.

Shrimp in Butter and Lime
Ingredients
10-12 pieces large shrimp /prawns ( 31/35 to a pound) peeled and deveined
1 tablespoon butter
1 clove garlic
A bunch of fresh basil leaves
I tablespoon lemon juice
Mixed bitter greens for serving the shrimp

Heat the butter in medium size skillet. When it starts to bubble,  put in the chopped garlic. Give it a minute and put the shrimp in the skillet.  When it starts to turn pink, turn it over. The shrimp will take about a minute on each side. This is the only tricky part of this recipe. Don't leave the shrimp in the skillet too long or it will be stringy. Shrimp tends to curl on itself as it cooks. You want to pull it out off the heat before the ends meet.
Place the cooked shrimp on the Serving dish. Meanwhile add chopped basil, lime juice and a dash of salt into the skillet.  You can also add a bit of white wine at this point. I normally don't because my kids love this dish as well. Mix and pour over the shrimp.

No comments:

Post a Comment